Thursday, May 23, 2013

Let Me Gush About Wizardry For a Moment

Man what a morning! GOG.com has been one of my regular stops on the webbernet for a while.  This morning while I was popping in to see if there were any flash sales, I saw that they added Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 to their catalog. I have been really hoping for a while for Wizardry to be available again somewhere so I’m pretty psyched to play those again. So having seen that, I’m going to gush about
Wizardry a bit.

So the first package they have on sale contains Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge, and Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. I never got to play Bane of the Cosmic Forge, but I did find it complete in box at the used book store about 15 years ago for two bucks. The disks didn’t work but I held onto the box for a long time simply because
of the art work. So the chance to play that now sounds pretty fun.

Crusaders of the Dark Savant was at some point remade into a game entitled “Wizardry Gold” which I bought a couple of times on CD around that time as well. That was a pretty fun game.  That was packaged in with “The Ultimate RPG Archives” which I bought for 30 bucks. (Now selling for 100+ dollars) and the Wizardry Archives which I also bought for 30 bucks. (Now also selling for a ton of money.) So what happened to those games? Well, I was living with my Mom at the time, and one day she decided to throw my entire glorious pc game collection in the garbage. (Happy Mother’s Day by the way Mom.)

Wizardry has been a favorite of mine for many years. I remember my Dad buying the original trilogy from a bookstore in 1989. We played it on his IBM 386 whenever we had the chance. I remember getting lost in the maze and dying really easily. Wizardry was not my first video game ever, but it was definitely a game I played in my first year or so of gaming.


I’ll be picking up those two packages on GOG next week when I get my hands on some more money. Hopefully Wizardry 1 - 5 will follow soon. I just wanted to gush about an old favorite series of mine. 

1 comment:

  1. What specific features or elements of Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 make them stand out and contribute to your excitement about playing them again?Telkom University

    ReplyDelete